Vangel Imre, Floating Head in Bright Colour
This is my attempt at a self-portrait. It is loosely based on picture I took of myself for a Photography assignment, which you can see here:
Vangel's Picasa Web Albums - Self-portrait Photo
Vangel's Picasa Web Albums - Self-portrait Photo
At first it was only a realistic pencil drawing I did as a sketching exercise, but since I wasn't happy with the result in terms of proportions I decided to leave it and not invest more time in it.
Some weeks after as I felt an inspiration to draw again I decided to finish this image by applying some changes to alter the mood - redoing the lines and guided by intuition, observing how different colours correspond with each other. I tend to ask friends about their opinion before posting my work here.
In any case this is an interesting image to look at in its own right.
Some weeks after as I felt an inspiration to draw again I decided to finish this image by applying some changes to alter the mood - redoing the lines and guided by intuition, observing how different colours correspond with each other. I tend to ask friends about their opinion before posting my work here.
One opinion that stood out from the rest for this image is that it is in a way reminiscent to a painting in the style of the Impressionists, the difference being the materials used.
I wasn't really aiming for that, but I have always been inspired by the way artists like Monet, Gaugin and Seurat were treating colour and light in their paintings. I don't believe that I've accomplished anything like that here, apart from the loose strokes and the interesting combination of colours.
I might have subconsciously been influenced by the examples in a book about Post-Impressionism that I was reading at the time.

No comments:
Post a Comment