Vangel Imre, Everyday routine
For this drawing I decided to depict a part of my brother's everyday routine - browsing the web, in this case on my netbook. Since this is a very long and uneventful process for the observer (I was in fact waiting for my turn to check my email) I decided to use bright colours and stick to a cartoon-style portrait to make it more interesting.I like it in terms of composition because it is a little unconventional if we decide to classify it as a portrait.
In my view the emphasis here is on the objects (desk, chair, pc, and the shoe in the bottom right hand corner, which is a nice detail), the figure is in a way depicted as one of them. My explanation for this effect is the angle I chose to draw my brother from - behind his back. In this way not only does he remain anonymous but he also becomes a collective image of a person doing a habitual action. A sign expressing the mundane, if you will.
The viewer doesn't see his face and eyes, so this could be anyone in front of a netbook on a desk.The only thing suggesting some hints for the personality or the emotional statе of the sitter is his pose.
Having chosen very bright colours which are in contrast with the rather plain subject of the image, I believe I have managed to convey a certain mood of warmth and comfort. The flatness of the image makes it look disarmingly unpretentious.
The sitter's garment is in cold tones which make it stand out from the warm colours of the rest of the picture. These cold tones of blue may lead the viewer to the impression that the sitter is static or lacking energy, which along with his pose expresses his physically passive, contemplative state of mind.
A large portion of the image is deliberately left blank, to contribute to the fleeting-impression-like feel.
I see this drawing as a quickly sketched out impression of a small everyday event. There is something whimsical and quirky about it, which I find very charming.

No comments:
Post a Comment